Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A look at the Yellow Fever epidemic of 1793

Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson

Mattie Cook lives in the bustling and prospering Philadelphia. Her widowed mother works really hard to keep the small family coffee house running and profitable and is quick to put Mattie to work doing her part. The year is 1793 and suddenly people who work near the docks are becoming ill and it is spreading quickly. When one of the coffee hours girls suddenly dies, Mattie and her family are fearful of how close Yellow Fever is coming to their family.

I have been a longtime fan of Laurie Halse Anderson. This is the first historical I have read from her and I enjoyed it. She makes the past accessible to middle school and high school readers.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you liked it better than I did. I think it just wasn't the book for me at the time.

BookAddict said...

This is WAY different than her other books. I liked it though. Definitely good for middle readers.