Sunday, January 3, 2010

Cold Rock River by JL Miles


Cold Rock River by JL Miles

Set in the early 1960's in rural Georgia, Cold Rock River tells the story of seventeen year old Adie Jenkins who finds herself pregnant and married to the handsome and philandering Buck. Adie realizes she needs to grow up in a hurry and sets off to find a place of their own, out from under her mother-in-law, Verna's, controlling finger. She rents a broken down cabin from a man named Murphy where she meets Willa Mae who becomes a close friend and confident. Willa Mae shares the diary of a young slave woman, Tempe, with Adie. For all of the heartache, loss, and trouble Adie experiences, she is able to read about Tempe's similar woes and how to persevere.

I really loved this story, the characters, and even the setting of the rural south. JL Miles is an author I have never read nor even heard of. I read this book as a buddy read and am so glad I did or I would have never discovered it.

3 comments:

Literary Feline said...

This does sound like a good one. I am glad you enjoyed it!

Christine said...

I liked this book a lot. I still have one of her's waiting for me (and you...I still remember).

BookAddict said...

You have another one of hers? After reading this book, I am definitely anxious to read more. I loved the slave narrative in between the story!