Monday, February 27, 2012

Two Good Reads

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

I am trying to get in all the classics I was SUPPOSED to read as a teenager but never did. After reading Wuthering Heights for the first time, I was anxious to get to Jane Eyre to compare them. Why do women think these brutish bullying men are romantic? I will never understand it. I liked Jane Eyre a lot more then Wuthering Heights.

The Night Strangers by Chris Bohjalian

Ack. I need to think about this. Not sure what to say without spoiling anything!

Okay, I re-read the book jacket and hopefully I don't give away anything that isn't on there:

Chip and Emily Linton live in the Pennsylvania suburbs with their 10 year old twin daughters, Garnet and Hallie. Chip has a busy career as a regional airline pilot and Emily is a busy lawyer. On a routine flight, Chip is forced to bring his plane down in Lake Champlain, killing many on board.

With anxiety and PTSD, Chip and his family decide to leave the area and find a big beautiful old Victorian in a small White Mountain town in New Hampshire. In a dark cold corner of the old dirt basement is a large door with 39 carriage nails, precisely the number of people killed on Flight 1611.

This was a good read. Very creepy and engrossing. The beginning with the plane crash was difficult to read! I loved that this took place in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. An area I know pretty well as we had a ski house in North Conway growing up. So, I know exactly how creepy and desolate those northern NH woods can feel!

2 comments:

Literary Feline said...

I am with you about the brutish bullying men. Ugh. Even despite that, I love Jane Eyre.

Can't wait to read your thoughts on The Night Strangers!

BookAddict said...

Wendy- I did like Jane Eyre so much more than Wuthering Heights. I found it easier to read as well. I am glad I read both though!

I just finished up my post on The Night Strangers. Good read!