Friday, January 21, 2011

Eye Contact

Eye Contact by Cammie McGovern

Cara is a single mom to 9 year old Adam, an autistic boy. At recess, Adam disappears into the woods with a new girl, Amelia, who is in his special education class and is later found over her dead body. Adam has never had a friend before and struggles with communication. What made him break the rules and escape recess to enter the woods? How can Cara help the police "unlock" Adam's, the only witness, mind?

The book is a mixture of the struggles parents of autistic children, Cara's life growing up and how she came to have Adam, and of course the mystery of who killed the girl and how much Adam saw. I thought it was a good story.

4 comments:

Literary Feline said...

This does sound like a good story, Sharon. I am glad you enjoyed it.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Hi Sharon,

I liked this one as well; glad u did too.

Kristie said...

I just finished this book and really enjoyed it. As a substitute teacher, I get to see autism up close and personal and love to read about it, both fiction and nonfiction. I thought the author did a great job writing about it!

BookAddict said...

Kristie- I am a special ed teacher and this year I have two ASD kiddos who are severe. One of which is non-verbal. It was interesting to get a new perspective on these kids and also I saw a lot of my kids in Adam.