Sunday, December 28, 2008

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher


High school student Clay Jensen finds a map in his locker from Hannah Baker, a girl he likes, one day. He stuffs it in his backpack not sure what to make of it. Then a few weeks after Hannah commits suicide, Clay receives a shoe box with no return address full of cassette tapes. The tapes are Hannah's voice outlining the thirteen reasons why she killed herself. As Clay listens, he follows the corresponding map.

I loved this book. Some students were reading it and passing it around and kept saying how good it was so I grabbed it from the library. I will definitely look for more from this author.

2 comments:

Bookfool said...

That sounds sad but meaningful. Is it meaningful? I think it's almost always good when teens are passing a book around.

BookAddict said...

I think so Nancy because it makes you think about how your actions affect others around you and how each action causes a reaction and events can snowball. I think especially for teens who so often act without considering the consequences of their actions.

I was so excited to see the kids passing around a book that they really liked. First the L.A. teacher gave it to one girl and then each girl just kept passing it on. I would have liked to seen some boys reading it as well though. Either way, I just had to see for myself!